Mechanical engineering is concerned with the responsible development of products, processes, and power, whether at the molecular scale or at the scale of large, complex systems. Mechanical engineering principles and skills are needed at some stage during the conception, design, development, and manufacture of every human-made object with moving parts. Many innovations crucial to our future will have their roots in the world of mass, motion, forces, and energy—the world of mechanical engineers.
Mechanical engineering is one of the broadest and most versatile of the engineering professions. This is reflected in the portfolio of current activities in the department, one that has widened rapidly in the past decade.
Today, our faculty are involved in projects ranging from, for example, the use of nanoparticles to tailor the properties of polymers, to the use of nonlinear dynamics to control unsteady flow separation; from the design and fabrication of low-cost radio-frequency identification chips, to the development of efficient methods for robust design; from the development of unmanned underwater vehicles, to the creation of optimization methods that autonomously generate decision-making strategies; from the invention of cost-effective photovoltaic cells, to the prevention of material degradation in proton-exchange membrane fuel cells; from the use of acoustics to explore the ocean of one of Jupiter's moons, to the biomimetics of swimming fish; from the development of physiological models for the human liver, to the development of novel ways for detecting precancerous events; and from the use of nanoscale antennas for manipulating large molecules, to the fabrication of 3-D nano structures out of 2-D substrates.
Vision of the institution
Mission of the institution
Programme educational objectives(PEOs)
- PEO1 (Employability skills): To excel our graduates as engineers with strong foundation in technical skills, strength in design, and an ability to work with complex engineering systems.
- PEO2 (Lifelong learning skills): To make our graduates to recognize the importance and to participate in continuous learning activities to enhance their higher studies/research, careers, personal interests and life goals.
- PEO3 (Entrepreneur & Professional ethics): To inculcate our graduates to become industrial entrepreneurs to develop products, processes or knowledge and to solve technical or societal problems in context with contribution to the betterment of society.
Programme specific outcomes(PSOs)
- Professional Engineers: To produce engineering professionals capable of synthesizing and analysing mechanical systems including allied engineering streams.
- Employability skills: Ability to adopt and integrate current technologies in the design and manufacturing domain to enhance employability.
Programme Outcomes are narrower statements that describe what students are expected to know and be able to do upon the graduation. They are formed in line with the graduate attributes of NBA. They are related to the skills, knowledge, attitudes, values and behavior outcomes that students acquire through the programme.
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
- To create and sustain an academic environment conducive to academic and professional excellence.
- To provide world class quality technical education to the inspired youth who join the institute through tough competition.
- To create environment to foster technology incubation and relevant R & D.
- To foster enterprising spirit among the students.
- To create avenues for technical education and research in new and emerging technology areas.
- To create a technology savvy campus and to impart value based education.
- To create synergetic partnership with industries and R&D organizations.
Centre Lathe with accessories, Arc welding machine, Gas welding machine, Brazing machine, Bench vice, MouldingTable, Moulding boxes, tools and patterns, Injection Moulding Machine.
Orifice meter setup,Venturi meter setup, Rotameter setup, Pipe Flow analysis setup, Centrifugal pump/submergible pump setup, Reciprocating pump setup,Gear pump setup, Pelton wheel setup,Francis turbine setup,Kaplan turbine setup.
Centre Lathes, Turret and Capstan Lathes, Horizontal Milling Machine, Vertical Milling Machine, Surface Grinding Machine, Cylinderical Grinding Machine, Shaper, Slotter, Planner, Radial Drilling Machine, Tool Dynamometer, Gear Hobbing Machine, Tool Makers Microscope
Universal Tensile Testing machine with double, shear attachment – 40 Ton Capacity,Torsion Testing Machine,Impact Testing Machine, Brinell Hardness Testing Machine, Rockwell Hardness Testing Machine, Spring Testing Machine for tensile and compressive loads, Metallurgical Microscopes, Muffle Furnace
PC, Plotter, AutoCAD, SOLIDWORKS, PRO-E, C/MATLAB
I.C Engine – 2 stroke and 4 stroke model, Red Wood Viscometer, Apparatus for Flash and Fire Point, 4-stroke Diesel Engine with mechanical loading, 4-stroke Diesel Engine with hydraulic loading, 4-stroke Diesel Engine with electrical loading,Multi-cylinder Petrol, Single cylinder Petrol Engine, Data Acquisition system with any one of the above engines, Steam Boiler with turbine setup, Guarded plate apparatus, Lagged pipe apparatus,Natural convection-vertical cylinder apparatus,Forced convection inside tube apparatus,Pin-fin apparatus, Stefan-Boltzmann apparatus, Emissivity measurement apparatus, Parallel/counter flow heat exchanger apparatus, Single/two stage reciprocating air compressor, Refrigeration test rig, Air-conditioning test rig.
Cam analyzer, Motorised gyroscope, Governor apparatus - Watt, Porter, Proell and Hartnell governors,Whirling of shaft apparatus,Dynamic balancing machine,Static and dynamic balancing machine,Vibrating table,Vibration test facilities apparatus,Gear Model, Kinematic Models to study various mechanisms.
Micrometer, Vernier Caliper, Vernier Height Gauge ,Vernier depth Gauge ,Slip Gauge Set, Gear Tooth Vernier, Sine Bar,Sine Center, Bevel Protractor,Floating Carriage Micrometer,Profile Projector / Tool Makers Microscope ,Mechanical / Electrical / Pneumatic Comparator , Autocollimator ,Temperature Measuring Setup, Displacement Measuring Setup, Force Measuring Setup, Torque Measuring Setup, Vibration / Shock Measuring Setup.
Basic Pneumatic Trainer Kit with manual and electrical controls/ PLC Control ,Basic Hydraulic Trainer Kit ,Hydraulics and Pneumatics Systems Simulation Software / Automation studio sets, 8051 - Microcontroller kit with stepper motor and drive circuit sets, LAB VIEW software with Sensors to measure Pressure,Flow rate, direction, speed, velocity and force seats.
Pentium IV computer or betterhardware, with suitable graphics facility, Licensed software for Drafting and Modeling 30 licenses, Laser Printer or Plotter to print / plot drawings.
Lees disc apparatus, Air Wedge apparatus, Spectrometer, Diode laser or He-Ne laser, Ultrasonic interferometer, B-H Curve traces apparatus, Torsional Pendulum apparatus, Non-uniform Bending apparatus, Viscosity apparatus, Band gap apparatus/ Post office, Carey Foster Bridge.
Electronic balance, pH meter,Conductivity bridge, Potentiometer, Platinum electrodes,Calomel electrodes, Spectrophotometer, Flame photometer,Oswald viscometer, Glassware.
PIV system,1 GB RAM / 40 GB HDD,OS: Win 2000 server,Audio card with headphones (with mike),JRE 1.3,Interactive Teacher Control Software ,English Language Lab Software, Career Lab software, Handicam Video Camera (with video lightsand mic input),Television – 29, Collar mike, Cordless mikes, Audio Mixer, DVD Recorder / Player, LCD Projector with MP3 /CD /DVD provision for audio / video facility.
LAN system with 33 nodes,Printer,Operating System(Windows /Unix Clone),C compiler, Application package (Office suite).
Civil - Assorted components for plumbing, Carpentry vice consisting of metallic pipes, plastic pipes, flexible pipes, couplings, unions,elbows, plugs and other fittings, Standard woodworking tools, Models of industrial trusses, door joints,furniture joints, Power Tools like Rotary Hammer, Demolition Hammer, Circular Saw, Planer, Hand Drilling Machine, Jigsaw.
Electronics - Soldering guns, Multi Meters,Small PCBs ,Assorted electronic components for making circuits, Telephone, FM radio, low-voltage power supply.
Mechanical - Arc welding transformer with cables and holders, Welding booth with exhaust facility, Welding accessories like welding shield,chipping hammer, wire brush Oxygen and acetylene gas cylinders,blow pipe and other welding outfit, Centre lathe,Hearth furnace, anvil and smithy tools, Moulding table, foundry tools, Power Tool Angle Grinder, centrifugal pump, air-conditioner.
Electrical - Assorted electrical components for house wiring, Electrical measuring instruments, Megger,Iron box, fan and regulator, emergency lamp,Range Finder,Digital Live-wire detector.